Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I am a lucky woman!

Well...first of all I love my husband cause he defrosted the freezer here yesterday. I hate this freezer...not only is it way too small but it needs to be defrosted periodically. Remember the old days when we had to do that all the time? Well we still do in this little camper! After listening to me bitch about it and moan about it for a couple of days, Mike brightly said yesterday..."I'll do it". And he proceeded to do it....and well too! And never complained. What a guy!

Today he golfed all day and when he got home, he said he was thinking that we should drive back over to the "country club" (I use that term loosely), where they golfed, for dinner tonight...that they were having all you could eat shrimp and oysters and he heard that it was good. Well...I am doing weight watchers faithfully, to try to lose the 6-8 pounds I am (seemingly) always trying to lose. I had faithfully counted my points all day and had allotted just what I needed to allow for 2 glasses of wine and our planned dinner which was to be shish kabobs with very little steak for me and mostly veggies. But I thought.....it really is not fair to stop him from doing something he really wants to do because of me restricting myself. I have been pretty rigid about it lately. (See previous post for pics of my lunch opposed to what Mike was eating). So I asked him if he really, really wanted to do this...and he said he did. So I went...but was not happy about it. We drove and drove across brown desolate land....nothing interesting at all to look at....it seemed like for many miles..actually it was! I pouted a bit and was not very talkative. I was thinking....why are we driving all the this way, using all this gas just to eat fried seafood which neither one of us need, when we could eat that right here in Rockport. When we got there the club was kind of like a nice VFW hall...nothing fancy at all. I still pouted and wished that I was not there. Mike was sweet and patient. Got me a glass of wine. The food finally came out and I have to admit, the oysters were the best, I think, that I have ever had! Big, juicy....lightly breaded in really good cornmeal breading. The shrimp was good too and the side dishes...potatoes, pinto beans, broccoli and cornbread were outstanding! Flavored just perfectly....not low fat I do not think! I ate and counted my points...but by the end was over my allotted ones...for sure. Mike was gracious and sweet through out the whole meal and never brought up my bitchiness. I had to admit that the meal was (almost) worth the drive! As we were leaving the restaurant, one of Mike's daughters called him just to hear his voice. Two of her close friends had lost their fathers this very day...and she just needed to know that....at that moment...her dad was OK. As we drove back through the night and the dark Texas countryside.....with a gazillion stars in the sky, I thought how lucky I was to be married to such a sweet guy. And tomorrow we will both try to be better about our diets....together!

2 comments:

  1. Hal says: he did do the fridge for you! they are a pain. :-) yes, you two are a great pair. God Bless you both. see, sometimes the worse drive turns out to be wonderful, especially when you are with the one you love. see, it all works out; the good and bad. yes, you can still bitch, husbands expect it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AFter the build up I thought he was going to surprise you with a new refrigerator! Great story, anyway.

    ReplyDelete